Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kyle


I do a lot of complaining about my sweet innocent giant 5 year old almost 6 year old autistic son. He makes messes upon messes not once a day but more like from the moment he wakes up til he is snoozin in his bed at night! But I love him more than anything and wouldnt trade this boy for anything (I would trade some of his messes tho)! Since most of the time Im sharing the not so fun things he does I thought I'd share the progress he has made in just the last few months. I'm so proud of Kyle and all he has accomplished and his continued hard work.

He gets on the bus now with no problem (I used to have to carry him from the house to the bus which was no easy task) at 7:30am. He is in school working very hard with an amazing teacher and 3 aides who care so much for him until 2:30! He has made HUGE improvements there. Ms. Kim came out with a huge smile one afternoon and was so excited to tell me how Kyle tried marshallows and raisins that day (he of course had a trash can right beside him to throw it out after every bite, but anyone who knows Kyle knows thats a HUGE improvement)! She even took video to show me! I know his improvements have a great deal to do with these great people who are teaching my son and care for him as much as I do!

After school he gets a half hour then starts ABA (an intense therapy that has been proven to help autistic kids) from 3-6 everyday! I look back at when he first started and I get teary eyed at what he can do now! His tantruming has faded his understanding and compliance has made a huge turn around! He can touch most of his body parts. He comes when you ask him (most of the time, but what typical kids listens all the time?)! His communication is awesome...he even said BREAK when he needed a break! The girls that work with him are so patient and get so excited when he does something new! Kyle is doing awesome and improves more and more everyday!

Kyle is a huge blessing in my life and I too often complain about the hard parts of having Kyle. I am so proud to be his mom and grateful for all he teaches me. I look forward to more progress because I know he can do it! I love you buddy!

3 comments:

Jamie Sue said...

Oh, Katie that is so awesome!! I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well and making progress!!!

Unknown said...

Kate, that progress is AWESOME! Yay, it must feel incredibly exciting!

Bobby, Jenny, Bryce and Leah said...

He's such an amazing kid!! So glad the hard work is paying off and he is making such great progress!!