Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Christmas Program...autistic style!




Kyle goes to a school for just autistic kids. It ranges from kindergarten to 8th grade. Each class with no more than 8 kids with a teacher and 3 aides! His teacher this year is amazing and her aides are just as great. I try and make an effort each week to let them know how appreciative I am of their hard work, dedicaton and most importantly the love they have for these kids! This week my appreciation reached a new level. I had the opportunity to attend the BEST Christmas program ever! The other day I was in the office chatting with the principal and she was mentioning how the kids had practiced for a week for this and they worked so hard on it! She seemed really excited! I have to admit I went home and had a good chuckle with my dad and brothers and then with Jen. We weren't bein' mean just curious to see what they had in store! :) So, Tuesday came and Jen and I showed up a little early, camera in hand! We made the trek to the cafeteria on the main campus in we walked to see on stage 40+ autistic kids along with all their teachers and aides! They were all sitting so nicely (well as nicely as autistic kids sit, which was pretty impressive)! Kyle saw Jen and I and gave us a big grin and wave! The program lasted maybe 15 minutes, but it was the best 15 minutes ever! I was so proud watching Kyle shake his jingle bells and wearing his reindeer antlers (which he didnt pull off til the very end)! He did such a great job! Then we all walked back to our classrooms where a male aide dressed up as Santa and went around to the classrooms and handed each kid a lil bag of goodies. I'm getting a teary eyed just writing this down but...Those teachers are awsome! What a gift they gave to each one of us parents. To watch our kids up there on stage with such pride! The teachers and staff members put this together on their own. They didnt have to do it, they did it because they love those kids! I'm so blessed to know that Kyle goes to school every day with people who love him just as much as I do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is sooo cute! I bet Kyle was so proud of himself! Have you seen 'Autism, the Musical'? It's adorable. It's really cool how talented all these kids were and how happy they were to have the chance to be in this big show!

Jamie Sue said...

Aww, I wish I could've been there! Sounds great!